So how would you like to know how to whip up six delicious scones in a matter of minutes and a paltry number of ingredients? Well first of all assemble the following things:
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 TBS butter ( THE REAL THING)
- 6 TBS buttermilk plus a little more
- add-ins of your choice (I have gone with mini chocolate chip morsals and slivered almonds)
- baking tray
- oven set to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Now assuming you have somehow acquired all the above items, let’s bake!
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add butter ( I cut it up to make mixing it in easier)
- “cut” the butter into the flour like making a pie crust.
4. Stir in the buttermilk, if it seems as dry as the Sahara then add more buttermilk
5. Add the mix-ins!!! (and eat some :} )
6. Smush the dough together to make little clumps to put on your baking tray
7. Bake the scones for about 10 minutes but it doesn’t hurt to check them at 8 minutes. Your oven may be hotter or bent on destroying your scones by burning them if you leave them the full 10 minutes.
8. Retrieve the scones from the oven like the awesome baker you are.
Now when you bake these you get the best reward: all those crumbs to sample. I seriously love the toasted chips and crunchy almonds. I will admit these are best warm from the oven but I wouldn’t suggest trying to ingest all 6 scones at once although maybe if you have roommates you could share. Sharing is caring or maybe you just want an excuse to make another batch…muhahaha.
A special thanks to Sara and her roommate for this recipe. I look forward to experimenting with it.